Winters in most parts of Australia are harsh, and temperatures often drop to sub-zero temperatures. So, with the cold season approaching, most homeowners are looking to repair or replace their hot water systems to ensure they have access to running hot water.
As someone looking to purchase a new hot water installation in Melbourne, it is important to understand the different types of water heaters available and compare the options available before making a purchase.
In Melbourne, the two most common types of hot water systems are those running on electricity and gas. And while both systems have their pros and cons, it depends on you to determine which gives you the best return on your investment. But how do you find that out?
Well, in today’s blog, we make a comparative analysis of electric and gas hot water installations for Melbourne homes.
Electric vs Gas Hot Water Installations: A Comparative Analysis
Are you planning to purchase a new hot water installation in Melbourne but need help figuring out where to start? Choosing between electric and gas systems can be difficult, especially when considering which is more cost-effective in the long run.
But to make the selection process for you, we will compare some of the aspects that you need to watch out for that can help you make an informed decision. So, read on to determine which option is best for your budget and needs.
One of the most significant factors you need to consider when choosing hot water installation in Melbourne is its upfront costs. This includes considering the cost of the hot water system, installation charges and any other expenses you might incur while installing the system at your home. An electric hot water system typically has lower upfront costs than a gas one with similar specifications.
Electric hot water installations in Melbourne are popular for those on a budget or with limited space. However, if you do not have an existing electrical connection, you might incur additional costs for an electrician to install one. On the other hand, gas hot water systems require a gas connection and a flue to vent the exhaust gases. This makes them more expensive to install than electric systems. However, if you already have a gas connection, it could bring down the installation costs.
When it comes to energy efficiency, gas hot water systems are the clear winner. Gas systems heat water faster than electric systems and retain heat more efficiently. In other words, gas hot water installations in Melbourne use less energy to maintain a consistent temperature. On the other hand, electric hot water systems are less efficient at retaining heat, which means they need to use more energy to maintain a consistent temperature. This can lead to higher energy bills and a larger carbon footprint over time.
So, in the long run, gas hot water systems are more environmentally friendly and cost-effective as they use less energy to heat the same amount of water as an electric system. However, electric systems have the advantage of being able to heat water on demand, which means they are a good option for those who use less hot water or have limited storage space.
Ongoing Maintenance Costs
Electric and gas hot water systems require consistent, ongoing maintenance to ensure they continue to operate optimally. However, the type and frequency of maintenance needed can vary depending on the system you choose.
Emergency plumbers in Melbourne observe that electric hot water systems are usually more low maintenance than gas ones, as they have fewer moving parts and do not require regular safety checks. On the other hand, gas hot water systems require regular maintenance to ensure they are safe and working efficiently. This includes an annual gas safety check, which can help identify potential issues before they become a problem. Moreover, gas hot water systems also have more moving parts than electric systems, which may require more frequent repairs and replacements over time.
Other Factors to Consider
24-hour plumbers in Hoppers Crossing mention that while the factors discussed above are most important, there are several other factors that you should consider before purchasing a hot water system for your home.
So, we consulted with experienced emergency plumbers in Melbourne to understand the other factors homeowners should consider before deciding the type of water heater they wish to purchase. Some of these factors include:
- Water usage: If your household uses a lot of hot water, a gas system may be more cost-effective in the long run, as it can heat larger volumes of water more quickly.
- Availability of gas: An electric hot water system may be the only viable option if your home is not connected to a gas supply.
- Safety: 24-hour plumbers in Melbourne state that gas water heaters present a high risk of carbon monoxide poisoning or gas leaks, so you must ensure your system is properly installed and maintained by a licensed professional.
- Government rebates: In some cases, government rebates or incentives may be available for energy-efficient hot water system installations in Melbourne. This can easily offset the initial cost of installation and significantly reduce ongoing energy costs.
- Energy tariffs: In some cases, electric hot water systems may be more cost-effective if you are on a special tariff, such as off-peak or controlled load tariffs, which offer lower rates for using electricity during off-peak periods.
- Lifespan: Gas hot water systems typically have a longer lifespan than electric ones, with an average lifespan of around 10-15 years compared to approximately 8-10 years for electric systems. However, the effective lifespan of your water heater will eventually depend on the system’s quality and how well you maintain it.
Trust the Experts for Efficient Hot Water Installations in Melbourne
As a homeowner looking to buy a new hot water installation for your Melbourne home, it is natural for you to have your doubts and concerns. So, it is best to consult an experienced professional who can help you make the right choice.
If you are in Melbourne or the surrounding suburbs, we recommend asking the experts at NLK Plumbing.
They have extensive experience operating in the local industry. And based on your concerns, they can work with you to understand your needs and help you pick a hot water system that suits your needs and budget specifications.